After you’ve started to build a list, the next step is to build the relationship that will make the list profitable. Below are 9 tips to help you get this process started.
1. Unsubscribes Are Good. The only way that you will not get unsubscribes to your list is to never send anything. Not everyone will like your personality or writing style. Those that don’t will never follow your recommendations so it is not a great loss when they unsubscribe.
2. Be Yourself. Let your personality come through to your list. People will buy from you because they trust you. Try to be something you are not and it will come through to your list and you will never develop trust.
3. Be Informative. Make sure that you are supplying quality information to your list. Even if you are presenting a product for sale make sure that you are also supplying information. Create the problem and your product as a solution but also let your subscribers learn something about the topic even if they aren’t interested in the product.
4. Stay On Topic. If your list is about desserts that should be the topic of your email. For example, don’t send marketing tips to your dessert list or desserts to your marketing tips list. Yes, there may be a few that have interests in both, but the person signed up for a specific topic and you are violating the trust that you have worked so hard to create.
5. Limit Content in Emails. Sending multiple items to your list can be extremely confusing to them and won’t get you the action you are looking for. Make sure that you have a call to action in every email. Never leave your subscriber wondering what you wanted them to do.
6. Always Have a Reason. This tends to go with number 5. Make sure there is a reason for the email that you send. If it has a purpose, people will want to keep reading. If they have no idea what the reason is for your email, they will stop reading all of your emails.
7. Track What Works. Tracking is the only way to know which of your emails works and which don’t. This will allow you to improve your emails to your list. Do remember that the only purpose of your email is to create the click through to a sales page. If it does that it is successful whether you sell a product or not. The sale of the product is dependent on the sales page.
8. Use Contact Information. You are building a relationship and that is based on trust. Let people know who you are and how to reach you.
9. Be Responsive. If you receive an email from a subscriber, answer it as soon as possible. This will go a long way to building the necessary trust to create a customer. People buy from those they trust.
These tips will go a long way towards helping you to build the relationship that is necessary to build a profitable list.